Like many other people I am proud of certain parts of myself that make up my nationality. My boyfriend thinks I’m silly for keeping up my quirky ‘British’ manners which I just see as a normal part of being polite! I recently came across a few different sites which really put it down for me on what are considered the problems of British manners. Not to say that non-British people can’t relate to these either but I’ve compiled a list of my favourites and hope they make you laugh as much as they did me!
- Being too polite to correct someone who gets your name wrong and having to forever be referred to by your new name.
- Apologising when someone bumps into you.
- Punishing someone by saying ‘you’re welcome’ very quietly when they don’t say thank you.
- Laughing politely because you haven’t understood what somebody said to you three times in a row.
- Running out of ways to say thank you when a succession of doors are held open for you and you’ve already used up ‘cheers’ ‘ta’ ‘nice one’
- Refusing a drink even though you really want one because you don’t want to inconvenience your host.
- Telling the hairdresser you love your new haircut then having a break down when you leave because you went for a trim and came out with a bob.
- Saying ‘that’s hilarious’ when somebodies joke wasn’t even funny.
- Doing a polite mini run and wave at a zebra crossing.
- Saying ‘anywhere here is fine’ when the cab driver is right outside your door.
- Apologising for not having the right change.
- Apologising for having the right change
- Hanging around to prove you really did give the right change.
- Saying ‘sorry to bother you/take up your time’ when calling someone whose job it is to help you.
- Apologising to the dog/cat for accidentally hurting it.
- Complaining that the food or drink isn’t nice but not sending it back so as not to offend the staff in a restaraunt.
- Refusing to accept compliments and countering them with an immediate reference to your worst feature.
Those are a few of my favourites along with a few I’ve added myself. If you enjoyed them you can find more on Reddit and Twitter @soverybritish